Friendship


Some friendships last a short while and some others last a lifetime.  Take these two Caetano Veloso (curly back hair) and Gilberto Gil.  They have been friends for over 50 years.  Their friendship has crossed paths musically, politically and possibly spiritually.  I personally have seen Caetano a few times and Gilberto Gil once. That all changed in April 2016.  I saw these two musicians I admire for their writing talents, their views of the world and to their political activism. Each make music that evokes more then an emotion, it transcends like no other.  I could use more praise on these two, but it's what they did in defiance of the Brazilian government that gets me. In the face of death, they kept going, kept poking.  Sure it got them exiled for a few years, but at that time they made the most important music for Brazil, then most people.  It is a must to seek out these two solo albums from the late 1960's to the early 1970's.

I got turned on to these back in 1996 when I was handed an album by another Brazilian gem Os Mutantes.  The friend told me that they are some of the coolest music to come out of Brazil.  Well, thats for another story.  While reading the liner notes, I was struck at the frequent mentions to Gil and Veloso.  Looking at the songs, even the songs had their writing credits.  Now I wanted to know about them. It took a year of music struggle as I call it, to find an album with Os Mutantes and Gil, and Veloso on it.  This album was the cookie that I could nibble on.  It not only expanded my musical palate, but it gave me an influence of other countries music I should seek out.

Is there anything I would recommend from these two, sure Start at the beginning.  They each have about seven albums out before 1973 that are worth investigating.  Start there and then get back to me.  The show I saw in 2016 is also around as a two CD and I think a DVD is well worth seeking out.  They will take your dreams away and realize that their other great music in other countries that will have you in awe like I was when I first heard it back then.  Just remember that friendship starts with these two and you too will be friends with them as well.  It's a great investment to be friends with them too.


Comments

Popular Posts