Green on Blue


It was not hard to be a fan of Jazz guitar.  It was harder on what my favorite guitar player was.  There are so many to choose from the early years.  Do I chose the awesome Charlie Christian, Kenny Burrell or even Wes Montgomery.  They are all great to be honest and they even have their signature sound.  The one with the coolest sound was none other then Grant Green.  I loved his music and still do.  He is on so many Blue Note albums that he more then likely was Blue Note's go to guy when a guitar player was needed.

It was seriously really hard to pick a Grant Green without saying to myself "Oh this is awesome." "Oh wait this is killer...."  I could take forever to make a decision and then miss something completely. I decided to go with his first on Blue Note Grant's First Stand.  This album smokes from Grant and also from his two back up players 'Baby Face Willette' and Ben Dixon.  Each are stars as well.  Ben worked with Grant on a few albums and over time and their chemistry is pretty damn good.  I really wish that 'Baby Face' worked more with him.  Three albums are not enough.  This trio is on fire on every track.


I always mention these "fly on the wall moments" I really think this would have been one of them.  An up and coming guitar player with a superb organ and drummer playing behind him.  This is the first of many Blue Note Grant Green and I'm sure that Jazz fans back then in the early 1960's were shaking their heads in awe what the future would hold for guitar in Jazz.  This is an album that more then one occasion they knew it was in the right hands.  I put this up their with Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue.  Classic in every definition of the word.

Comments

Popular Posts