Judee not Judy



I stumbled upon Judee Sill around this time last year.  It was a song with her and a guitar.  Nothing big, low production and a voice that reminded me of some of my favorite female voices in music.  I only heard one song of hers, but I was hooked right away.  Who is this?  Why is she not talked about with the others?  I had to seek her out.  She made only a two albums, but each had it's own charm.  What I liked about the albums were that each song on the album felt like they belonged to her.  No one else could write great songs and still no one else could remake her songs either.  She had a smooth voice.  

If I can suggest, you should check out her only two solo albums.  Each have a unique view from her and how she felt.  Her self titled is one of the best, and her second and last called Heart Food is great but it's hard to follow up an already great first solo album.  If you are seeking out original folk music, check her out.  Sorry I don't what else to say, but this is someone I'm exploring as well.  I have both albums plus a live BBC session and more and there is so much to listen to.  In the short musical life Judee had she had a great impact.  Sadly dying at 35, she left a great legacy and someone with new ears, like myself will enjoy her.   



Comments

Popular Posts