Two Storms


Being a fan of Porcupine Tree and Opeth I knew I had to get my hands on this collaboration between 
Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt.  I expected some dark extremely heavy rock album.  The opening song.  The song Drag Ropes is not even a linear song like most songs are.  It's a song that has very basic instrumentation and very cool vocal harmonies.

One day hunting for new music to buy at the local record store I was told about this album called Storm Corrosion.  The manger of the record store told me that if I like Porcupine Tree and Opeth this would be the album for me.  He handed me a promo and sent me home.  He had two copies and no one else who works will dig it, so it was mine.  I quickly put it in my CD player in the car and drove home.  Every bit of the album was not part of a normal genre of music, but a mix of many of Steven's and Mikael's love for other music.  It certainly kept my attention all the way home.


It's unique mix of some ambient and some folk and less the 20% drums make's it an easy listen fans of both bands that they came from.  The hard part is to process the experimental touches that make the album.  It's music is subtle and not in your face, but that is the joy of it.  When listening to the album it really makes you feel like this is a personal project.  It has great care in what they do in each song.   

As you unexpectedly hit the shallow end of the pool, but even though the album doesn't sound much like the metal masterpiece, that doesn't make it unworthy of a listener's attention, and anyone open-minded enough to approach the project without any expectations will be quickly swept off into the spacious perennial twilight created by these two master craftsmen.(AM) I could not agree more with that musical assessment by a reviewer.  Every time I listen to especially the song Drag Ropes gives me a bit of a chill.  I will tell you even that song is played over and over just to feel that sense of uncertainty that you think it will break into some extremely high decibel metal song.  With only six sings it's more then enough for you to digest.  Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts