1968


Who's got a low number?  I don't even have a number (insert sad face here).  I was a fan of The Beatles early in my life.  Like all of you, I'm sure your parents or other members of the family would listen to them in awe.  Over the years of hearing The Beatles each of their albums got more and more better.  Their songs got better, their musicianship got better, and their writing got better.  I got on the band wagon buying all their albums.  I really was hoping for first issues, but that was quickly extinguished when the prices were too high.  I had my friend from high school cassette's which I knew I would have never any intent to give them back.  I would only give them back if I could find copies myself.  In the years during and after high school I got every cassette and a few records.  The White Album was the only one that I had problems finding a decent copy.  I had the cassette and even played it to death until the tape broke.  I cried like a baby for a week.

I'm not going to give you a history or background on one of the best albums in the world or best double albums ever, but this post will be about my connection with this great album and my personal favorite.  When asked by people what Beatles album do I go to again and again it's without fail The White Album.  This album has transformed my musical listening into much more then a casual hobby, but a passion and love and that keeps my sanity.  The White Album is got me into the passion of that era that sparked so many great musical avenues. It was the first album that put me on the path on picking my favorite Beatle.  Other Beatle albums that are my favorite might not have a lot of Harrison tunes, but when they do they stick out like a sore thumb.


George Harrison's tunes on The White Album are some of the most unusual, and that also makes them the ones I remember.  Sadly, there are only four penned Harrison song's but as a kid and now an adult I still play those tunes first.  They were and still are quite memorable.  His word play in each song makes us think that his quirk and charm was just bubbling with excitement.  Take the words for "Savoy Truffle" The song is about Eric Clapton's sugar addiction due to his drug use.  (See Below)

Creme tangerine and montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle


Cool cherry cream, a nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge, really blows down those blues
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You might not feel it now
But when the pain cuts through
You're going to know, and how
The sweat is going to fill your head
When it becomes too much
You shout aloud

You'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You know that what you eat you are,
But what is sweet now, turns so sour
We all know Obla-Di-Bla-Da
But can you show me, where you are?

Creme tangerine and montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle
Yes you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle


Tongue and cheek as it is, it shows theme of compassion for his friend.  While this tongue and cheek was not only George Harrison it was the rest of the band on many songs.  Harrison's songs were quick for me to pick up.  Every song is a winner.  Even today we talk about "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" as one of the best songs ever written.  My only wish with the Beatles album is that we had more input from George. Maybe, 8 songs of his should have been represented on the album.  I mean he put out a triple album worth of material for his third solo album.  We all know that one pretty well don't we? He got the credit and he deserved as an equal to Paul and John with their songwriting. 


With all the great music on the album we always wonder what else they could have done.  I know that I would have seen this album as not a double, but maybe a triple or even quadruple.  The Beatles intent maybe was a double all along.  It could be that this was the attention we had then.  At an hour and thirty-three minutes this gave us the full attention we needed.  It is an album that has mis of different genres and tongue and cheek lyrics and also it has a musical experience all it's own.  


I'm sure you all own a copy and have your on experience with it and that is what makes great.  Many of you would go to Sgt. Pepper as a favorite, but just remember that was a long line of albums that for the Beatles got better and better. This is pretty damn' close to perfect. Pepper is a concept, The White Album is a collective group of four who made a masterpiece.  Now in 2018 with it's 50th anniversary I was ready to hear it again.  Giles Martin not only gave it fresh ears, but he gave it a breath of new life.  His Re-Mix is a shot of energy that rattles around and makes you shake with excitement if that is a good description.  Each song of the 30 that are on the album have a new breath that they never had before.  As I tell friends about this great re-issue, some of these songs have never sounded better.  "Helter Skelter" sounds more and more like the origins of Heavy Metal.  "Wild Honey Pie" is more twisted then the original.  There are many more gifts on the new mix that will make you shake your head again and again.  A great album that deserves a better listen 50 years later and to the readers who want hear it with fresh ears, just make sure you shelve your old copy and try to forget what it sounded like in 1968 and here the future 2018 and you will be bubbling with excitement.  I only wonder if they knew that this album would be talked about like this 50 years later.  



Comments

Popular Posts