Kimono My Sparks


I was kinda late to this album, but once I heard it I knew this album was a classic in my book.  Kimono My House is an album with so many mixes of genres and great and catchy hooks.  When I first heard this album I seriously thought this album was an album that was part of the 80's.  I grabbed it and when I looked at the date (after the first listen) it said 1974.  My jaw dropped to the floor.  How is this album and music sound like it was never dated.  It's insane and controlled chaos was something I really loved.  Make no mistake Sparks are geniuses, and with that a band most people don't know about. Good thing for me, I will be part of their cult.

If anything Sparks makes a case to be put in the Glam Rock category.  They also belong in the catchy song title category as well.  "This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us" and "Falling In Love With Myself Again" are some of the best song titles and best songs on a perfect album.  These songs pack a lot in the short three minutes they are composed and played.  They pack a lot of music in that time too.


Sparks flew under my music radar for many reasons.  First reason is this, I never heard them on the radio,  The two songs I mentioned above could easy fit into a Classic Rock radio type format.  I'm not sure why they were not played on radio at all.  Second reason, I only knew a few bands or artists who kinda fit their mold.  David Bowie, Marc Bolan, and Elton John and maybe a few others and sure that Sparks would fit very well.  

When hearing Kimono My House everything from the year 1974 seem different.  Not only did Sparks cross music genres, but they made it addicting as well.  I have played this album many times and each time it sounds so fresh.  As I mentioned above the jaw dropping experience and that experience is still something that makes me more like Sparks more and more.  The songs are very tongue and cheek through out the whole album.  It seems they are making fun of themselves and that is something that was really not seen in music at that time.  

Out-take from the cover Kimono My House
Kimono My House is an essential album that is a must to listen to. The music, and lyrics are the right hook for anybody to get addicted to. What's great the Mael Brothers create genius, catchy music for anyone to enjoy. It shows even from 1974 music does not have to sound dated, but it does have to have a good hook. It's a catch that anyone who loves music as much as I do will really, really enjoy.



Comments

Popular Posts