The Moray Eels Are Hungry For Something Holy


Peter Stampfel and Steve Weber are geniuses and this album proves it.  You don't have to fit in a certain mold of the time, you don't have to be different to be different and believe me they are.  The music combines acoustic traditional American folk, blues, and hillbilly music regurgitated by crazed folkie acidheads experimenting with electric instruments. That's a lot right?  This music is so "far out" that Elektra questioned why they decided to distribute this essential album.

When I first heard this album I had wonder if I bought a novelty band or maybe even the wrong album with a miss label.  It was not any of that but a very interesting psychedelic Folk band that grew with me over time.  It was much more then that. It was an album that no matter how many times you listen to it sounds odder and more  times you want to figure what they will do next. They even included a famous actor and playwright on this album and a few of their others.  Yes Sam Shepard plays the simple tambourine on this album. This gives it more of an album it's essential status.


At first listen you might think that I'm on some kind of drug(s) but I'm not.  This album although less then a half hour it is an album for the unique ear.  The music here is something that happen to be part of the wide range of musical styles and genres at the time.  The music here is quite exciting and to me who knew nothing about it except a mention in a book when I was a teenager.  My interest was to try this album out and after many years I found it at a tag sale.  The seller told me that it was not his cup of tea as it were, but I was willing to take a risk.  It's an album that may sound dated, but given the time it came out it makes total sense.  Give it a listen and tell me what YOU think because it is worth the time and effort to try it out.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts