The Who PART ONE: Tommy Can You Hear Me?


Alright Here it goes, please bare with me This going to be one of the hardest post to write.  It's tough to write because of how much or is how big of a fan of The Who.  I have liked them since I was a teenager and now with Tommy turning 50 today it's in awe how they created with such perfection and is considered one of Rock's masterpieces.  I heard Tommy as a naive 14 year old dropping everything and putting the tape I owned on repeat all the time.  I'm sure I drove my parents crazy.  I can hear them say our son found this crazy music.  He said it was called a "Rock Opera"  Opera is for old people who want hear Classical and want words to go with it.

As a young 14 year old I was so happy that this cassette was over 40 minutes and was also very happy that I could be in quiet and listen and most of all focus for over an hour.  The only time where my mother heard me was when I took off the headsets and changed the cassette from side A to side B.   When I was done, I would start all over again.  After a few listens I would have the words down and I was "trying" to sing along.  I don't my mother approved of the words, but she stayed quiet for the most part.


A year later I got a copy of the record.  I think that got more plays on the turntable then the cassette.  I bought another copy of the cassette and would play it when I got my first car.  I would blast it until the speakers started shaking.  My dad would joke with me and tell me like Pete Townshend you both are going deaf.  I did not care at all.  I was having so much fun.  I talked about this album with my friends and they all laughed because who listens to The Who anymore.  They are not even a band and their songs on the radio are too corny and or played way to often.  One friend asked me, about The Who and he asked what is a "Acid Queen?"

The Who up to this point had doing anything like this.  Pete did a mini Opera as he called it.  The song A Quick One While He's Away was a short short story as it were.  It was done with humor and tongue and cheek.  When Tommy came out he said this is something serious.  Serious it was and I listened with great intent to get something more out of this.  The songs on Tommy were tough and more cerebral and I liked that.  Tommy turned The Who into superstars and turned me into a fan for life.  I saw it performed in 1989 and was in awe.  I talked and talked about it with my friends and thought I was on something.  Tommy could do no wrong and I played it more and more to catch part of the story I missed if anything I missed.  I hope I did not miss anything.


When I picked up the Soundtrack to Woodstock, some of the songs were on it and hearing them made my head spin.  I screamed at the top of my lungs to each song I heard.  I played air guitar to every Pete Townshend riff.  I watched The Who's Woodstock performance over and over and over again.  I think I played "Acid Queen," "Christmas," and "Cousin Kevin" on Side 2 of the LP more plays then any other side.  When I got to Side 3 I knew the lyrics to "Pinball Wizard" after just a few listens. This album got more plays then anything in my collection at one point and never left the record player.

When it came to Side 4 all bets were off.  I played that album backwards and forwards just to try to sing like Roger.  "We're Not Gonna Take It" was the song that got the most play.  I played both the Woodstock version and the album version.  I loved this album.  It still remains in heavy rotation when I need to listen to it.  I have different versions of the album too. I have the original Decca version with the libretto. I still have my first cassette copy.  I own the MFSL version.  I have the super deluxe version and also the two CD version with some excellent out-takes that are no slouch either.  I have three Japan Pressed CD versions that sound crystal clear.  Each version to be honest has a personal feel to it and each has a quirk and a little something different to it.  Tommy is ingrained in my blood.  Perfect in every way.


If your child ain't all he should be now
This girl could put him right
I'll show him what he could be now
Just give me one night
I'm the Gypsy
The Acid Queen
Pay before we start
The Gypsy
I'm guaranteed
To tear your soul apart
Give us a room and close the door
Leave us for a while
Your boy won't be a boy no more
Young, but not a child
I'm the Gypsy
The Acid Queen
Pay before we start
The Gypsy
I'm guaranteed
To tear your soul apart
Gather your wits and hold on fast
Your mind must learn to roam
Just as the Gypsy Queen must do
You're gonna hit the road
My work is done now look at him
He's never been more alive
His head it shakes his fingers clutch
Watch his body writhe
I'm the Gypsy
The Acid Queen
Pay before we start
The Gypsy
I'm guaranteed
To break your little heart
If your child ain't all he should be now
This girl will put him right
I'll show him what he could be now
Just give me one night


I'm the Gypsy
The Acid Queen
Pay before we start
The Gypsy
I'm guaranteed
To tear your soul apart

I can only imagine going to the record store and paying the extra dollar for a two LP from a band at that time was ready to explode. Opening up the triple gatefold and reaching in one of the sleeves and pulling out the lyric sheet and telling your parents that this music is a Rock Opera. The rolling of the eyes or even the raised eyebrow would sure getting the older generation thinking that Rock became sophisticated. Hearing John Entwistle playing the English horn and the harmony vocals would ease their thoughts right? Then crack like thunder "Sparks" would shatter the most delicate ear drums. Your plan to make your parents see a mature music listener being thrown out the window. 


If you want an album that will blow your mind or already have this album that is 50 Years old just remember there was another Rock Opera before Tommy, and NOT the one I spoke of earlier.  I will keep you in suspense for another time.  The Who was one of the best in 1969 and the music that came from a 75:15 piece of music would make you question that any other band could not hold a candle to them.  Tommy ain't bad for a story of a deaf, dumb and blind kid who can play a mean pinball.   


Comments

Popular Posts