Fela and Ginger


When I was going to school at the local community college I would stop by the local book and record store for music.  I told you this story before on how I would find new music.  I want thank all those people who worked there that gave me ideas on what would be an amazing journey in all the music that has influenced me and shaped my love and passion for music. Many of the artists I like today and post on this blog was a direct influence on someone that worked at that store or even pointed me in the right direction. A majority of the music heard in the store was do to my inquisitiveness and wanting to learn more.  Up to that time I was stuck in a Rock and Roll rut and needed the to hear something better and the better is now that passion.

When I came in one day to look for a Jazz CD I was stopped by one of the employees.  I knew this employee well.  He had a few musical projects that played at the store. He also had a radio show once a week at a local college station that I loved looking forward to. I also respected his option on what he always recommended to me.  He up to this point told me about Trilok Gurtu,  Paul Winter, World music, and countless other music.  On this day he handed me a CD and said to me that this should be my next purchase.  He handed me Fela Kuti and The Africa '70 with Ginger Baker. I knew Ginger's music from Cream and other guests spots, but I did not know about this.  He told me to buy it and give me my opinion on it next time I come in.


At first listen I was a bit confused because this was not Rock or Jazz.  This music was something else.  It was music I would hear late night on a local Nation Public Radio station on a program called AfroPop Worldwide.  It was great, full of percussion, saxophone, electric piano and bass.  It had a groove like no other album I had in my collection.  It also resinated so much I wanted more Fela and more world music like this.  It changed the way I saw Western music and how people from two different backgrounds can make beautiful music.  This music was really, really special.

The next time I came in my friend at the store handed me another Fela album, but he also haned me another Ginger Baker album.  This one featured other musicians on it and told me if I like Ginger's playing on the other album I will love this one.  That post will be for another time.  What I liked about the Ginger and Fela album is they did it for the passion of music, not for the money or for the album to see million copies, but for the respect they both had for each other.  They worked together another time, but Fela joined Ginger on stage a number times before this idea turned into an album.


When this album was issued Fela had already put out five albums in 1971 alone.  Ginger a drummers drummer and Fela a seasoned veteran already in the music biz. When hearing them work together it was a match made in heaven. Their music together was essential for anybody who loves music.  I only have one wish.  I wish they made more music together.  I like the album as a whole, because it is live and what better way to get the passion that they had on the live recording and transfer it to the studio.

So, if your looking for something different then look no further.  Fela Kuti and The Africa '70 with Ginger Baker is a great album.  It's a great introduction to Fela, it's a great introduction to world music and it's a great introduction to Ginger Baker outside the rock world.  After seeking this out either you will go listen to more Fela or more diverse like music.  It's a win, win for me because after that I fell in love with Fela's music.  He music got more and more political, but it was always fresh and still is.  In the future I will post about Fela's music and you will see the passion that he has is the same passion I have about it.  This album is hard to find, but when you see it get it.  It will be the best things you placed on your ears.  Cheers and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts