RIP Ginger Baker!


When I heard Ginger Baker on Fresh Cream as a kid, I didn't know what to think. I listened to his playing and was awestruck by how he kept it all together. He seemed chaotic, but altogether calm. I must have played N.S.U. like a hundred times. His drumming was so superb on that I could't imagine what else he had up his sleeve. Every song on the album proved to me he was my favorite drummer. When it got to Toad, I was tired, but he was was still on top without breaking a sweat. I got copies of all the Cream albums and then went out to seek his other ventures and adventures. Ginger with Blind Faith was like a "wow" moment. His music with the great Fela Kuti was otherworldly. Then I picked up his contributions to Masters of Reality Sunrise on the Sufferbus was like a modern Cream. He made them a power Rock trio. When I needed something to listen to my friends suggested an awesome album called Unseen Rain. This album was Piano, Bass and Drums. I only knew Ginger on the album, but by the time I was done I wanted to hear Jonas Hellborg and Jens Johnansson. Ginger brought out the best in everyone and even if he was cantankerous he still was amazing in every way. When He put out an album with Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden I knew he was the best on the planet. Who else could switch from Rock to Jazz with such ease and do it so well. Ginger was everyone's favorite. I saw him last year and I was like that little kid again. Trying to air drum and I looked like a fool. His legacy and music will live on. Thank You for your awesome body of work, and your letting me attempt, and fail to play along with you. RIP Ginger.



Comments

Popular Posts