HAWKWIND PART ONE: Flying High In Search of


I first heard Hawkwind on a radio show on Sunday nights from 9-12.  He opened up his radio show with "You Shouldn't Do That" and my mind was blown. so much beautiful chaos was going on and I had figure it all out.  The music was all new to me at the young age of 15 but let me tell you, it was nothing like I heard before.  This stuff was adventurous and fun.  It was trippy and boy it sounded great on the right headphones.  Listening to it now it's like being transported back in the late 60's and on some kind of acid or mind altering drug.  I have had the pleasure of seeing them live twice.  They to say the least amazing.

Whenever you hear early Hawkwind you can tell that it's them.  Their swirling guitars and very signature spacey sound.  I was hooked right away.  I loved everything about them when I heard them on that radio show.  There was no band like it and at the time no band tried to emulate them because honestly who could.  Who could even replicate their stage presence and controlled chaos like that.  They even had some spiritual guidance as it were with Stacia.  I'm not sure what to call the 6'2" curvy person on stage.  When I looked it up they called her a performance artist/dancer.  Whatever Hawkwind had, I loved it.


Over the course years I collected more and more Hawkwind CD's.  I say CD's because trying to get their albums were a bit tough.  They were so expensive.  One of their live album's still fetches over $100.00.  I could not find their CD's in the record store, so I had to order their music.  When I did, I get to order the albums I would get a laugh from the person over the counter.  "Why on earth do you want Hawkwind?"  In reply I would tell them how much I liked this spacey music that really had not ever left 1968/69.  I felt like taking a journey with them.  It was odd, definitely other worldly, and way out of left center for it's time.

Hawkwind was music that was the music that even my parents would say that this band was not of this earth.  My dad called it Science Fiction Rock.  Maybe that is what their intent was?  It was odd and for sure some of the coolest I have every listened to up to that point.  I loved the swirling guitars and keyboards.  Every break in the song their music felt like I was traveling in a space ship heading for the outer reaches of the galaxy.  It was fun, no band could ever do this and get away with it.

Stacia the early years


In 2007 I had my chance to see them for the second time, but this time it was a seated gig and my friends who I went with it was going to be their first.  I was ready I was so ready I could not wait for this space ship as it were to take off.  As I talked to others who were at the show, they told me their stories about Hawkwind.  One guy mentioned he saw them in 1971 and was so blown away that he had seen them a record 55 times through the years.  "It's like a musical acid trip and then some he pointed out."  As the lights dimmed we heard a voice from the great beyond.  The fans who knew this ritual knew all about what we had in store for us.  I was ready and holding on to my seat.  I felt and Hawkwind wanted us to go in space ship to a far outer reach of the galaxy.  I was so excited to be in this ship.

The show continued for about two hours and they weaved in and out of the trippy music that was in a way Hawkwind for beginners, but also music for the experienced Hawkwind fan.  My head was spinning around and around, and never quite landed properly on my body, but it sure was awesome.  I loved everything they played.  Got to talk with them after the show an was full of superlatives and as I told them, thanks for bringing me back to 1971.  It was some of the coolest music I ever heard.


If you like music that belongs on a never ending trip on either acid or in space then Hawkwind is the band for you.  I'm sure the album In Search of Space is the best and first ones to investigate.  "You Shouldn't Do That." the albums opener is one song that will feel like your heading out to something unknown, but when it takes off it will make you wanting more and more.  It's sure spacey enough for any adventurist of listeners.  To me it gets never tired, but it does feel like you want to be the one that your on their space ship too.  For Hawkwind this is the best of the early years and features Lemmy from Motorhead on "Silver Machine" the groups non album single, and it is only a microcosm of what Hawkwind could do.  We are space, we are HAWKWIND.

Comments

Popular Posts