JOHN ZORN PART ONE: Naked City


In 1989 to early 1990 my music listening took a direct left and never looked back.  I owe it all to a co-worker who turned me on to so much music that my head is still spinning to this day.  He gave me a lot of music to listen to, but all the music that he pointed out to me never was a simple cut and dry with the likes of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Neil Young and Tom Petty and countless others. The people he turned me people like Magma, CAN, Bill Frisell, Tom Waits, Brian Eno, Funkadelic, Captain Beefheart and anything that does not fit neatly in a box.  This music that he gave me was for sure very head scratching and I welcomed it with open arms.  I wanted to hear something new.  I needed to do it for my sake.  I did not want to listen to the same formulaic music that was always on repeat.  I wanted music that was not only the head scratching, but the repeated listing had me in awe and giddy with school boy excitement.

When I heard this album for the first time I had no idea what to think.  I also had no idea the music on here with it being fifty-five minutes long and a whopping twenty-six song track listing could take me all over the music map.  The shortest song on the album being fourteen seconds and the largest closest to five minutes.  Each songs left you either confused or wanting to hit the repeat but to hear if I missed something.  It is, looking back an album that rewards the repeat listener and for me I still love listening to it.


When my co-worker gave it to me I knew after giving it back to him I had to find a copy for myself.  Not only to re listen to it, but to sound cruel; to let my parents get tortured by the odd music.  To make my mom tell me to turn it off and my dad to ask what the hell am I listening to.  I was lucky to go CD shopping one day and find a used copy for cheap.  I guess the previous owner did not think the same way I did.  Even the person at the counter looked at me like I was not quite sure what I was in for.  I reassured him that I heard a friends copy and was very excited to hear my own and show my less adventurous friends to see if they will love it too.  Over time I played it again and again.  Finding new ways of listening to it.  Programming the CD to play all the short songs first and the longer songs last.  Maybe there is a theme in the short bursts of energy they were playing.  All of it was so good I tried recreating the noise vocals, then I played the long songs just to keep my attention that much longer.  The short ones felt like Zorn had ADHD and the longer songs were like lets see how long we can play this.

I did get one like from my dad when playing the album "James Bond Theme" was played and he liked  the interpretation.  When looking back at this I saw all the influences of John Zorn pop up and bite me in the butt.  I mean he loved Ennio Morricone, Ornette Coleman, John Berry, Henry Mancini, and Jerry Goldsmith.  This album and future albums you can see Zorn wear his musical loves on his sleeve and even point them out that you too should love this music as much if not more then he does.


After hearing this album you either go crazy or wanting to hear more.  I tend to think you wanting to hear more.  John Zorn has many different influences.  He put's him in all the music he does.  He puts them in some of the Jazz music he does and even adds a bit of his religious background and that is what makes the music unique.  He even adds to his Jazz music in his quartet Masada and the unique music that brings.  Masada is like a well oiled machine and once in a while he will pull out that musician that changed his mind on what music should be.  He does so many projects and works with so many diverse musicians that you think his head will explode.

When you listen to Naked City you can hear the great musicians on the album.  Each artists on the album is highly respected.  Bill Frisell, an awesome guitar player.  Fred Frith, he may be playing bass on the album, but he is interesting modern composer.  Joey Baron, one of the most in demand drummers right now working.  He is always keeping busy and when you hear him play his flourishes and playing really feels like he has four arms.  He is amazing.  Wayne Horvitz is amazing keyboard player and also in demand as a great composer too.  Lastly the screamer, Yamantaka Eye who is in a band called the Boredoms.  The Boredoms are a an awesome Avant-Garde Rock band from Japan.  Great stuff and worth seeking out.  Naked City might sound chaotic, but it's music to my and so many peoples ear.  They love it and wish there was more and more.  After listening to this album while writing this post.  I can say this,"boy what a damn' fine album this is and how awesome to play it again."

Comments

Popular Posts