Oh! Melody Nelson Oui Oui


I can't remember how I stumbled upon this album, but I do remember listening to this album for the first time and feeling and hearing the ooze of sex through the headsets that I was listening through.  I did not understand the words, but knowing Serge Gainsbourg it was more then likely very dirty and very sensual.  I think I stumbled upon Serge's music when I was going through the used CD bin at a new and used record store.  I saw a compilation of his music and remembering that a band called Luna covered one of his songs.  Then I came across a tribute album called Great Jews in Music Serge Gainsbourg.  It blew me away. I needed to hear more then just having a greatest hits in my collection and it was driving me crazy.

Histoire De Melody Nelson is not a very long album, but it does a lot in it's twenty-eight minutes of time.  Sure it's a concept album but its a joy to listen every time I put it on.  It is an album with huge influence from people like Portishead, Arctic Monkeys, Luna, REM, Stereolab and countless others.  Serge's music after first listen may sound a bit boring, but after a few listens of any of his music is quite addicting.  I started picking albums one by one until I found a copy of Melody Nelson which was stuck in the used bin for $5.00.  The best $5.00 I have ever spent.

Outtake from the cover of Jane Birkin

I took a listen the other day and I'm still in awe how Serge created this and how his record label Philips let him do this. I know he has been with the label for at least a decade and really stuck to the French music formula. When he finished this and handed them the artwork to go with it they must have scratched their heads.  I mean it's just the uncomfortable moment that Serge more then likely wanted out of either the record label or his audience.  I know I would have been scratching my head.

Out-take from the cover of the album

I'm not sure about the history of Serge up to that point except the occasional hit like Bonnie and Clyde with Brigitte Bardot that was three years previous to Melody Nelson.  Maybe Serge was up for a career change.  Maybe he wanted to try something different.  He was in a relationship to a women who was 24 and he was 42.  Serge did not even sing on this album it's mostly spoken word.  It's story is odd too.  Serge runs into a teenage girl who is on a bike and a romance ensues.  Talk about a bit Loita-ish?  The music alone has a great vibe that is funky and full of lush string arrangements.  Still influential and considered one of the best albums in French Music.

So, if you want an album that has a huge amount of "cred" from the artists I mentioned above then this is the album for you.  If your looking to hear how dirty Serge is the teenager, then check it out, let me know what he says to her.  All in all this album is one I laugh at and talk about in small circles of geeks like myself and shake our heads how can something be this good at only twenty eight minutes long.

Comments

Popular Posts