Takin' It Easy With the Walkers


The Other day I was going through my CD's and some of the LP's I inherited when I moved from one state to another.  I also went though the albums that I got on Ebay and forgot that I got a Walker Brothers album.  With the death of Scott Walker last year the legacy of the band and the person are fading.  I know when I hear any Scott Walker and or Walker Brothers I know I hear perfect pop music and perfect song and arrangements.  This band in it's short, short time frame from 1965-1967 made some of the best music ever.  In England they were like The Beatles, where every step was greeted with mobs and mobs of fans.  In America where they were from it was a band who could barely crack the top 40.  They were not even brothers, but they sure were good in this little part of 1960's that the music needs another evaluation.

Once in a while I hear them on the radio and once in a while you will catch me singing along with Scott.  Their tenor vibrato and lush orchestrations are simply the bee's knees.  The first three songs on the album as you see above are just amazing.  I love everything about the power and the passion that these songs bring. When I get home I run to my iPod and crank up there music and realize how great they were.  None of the songs were written by them, but their interpretations of these well penned songs just make it sound like their own and that is what I love.


Sadly they never reached the top of the mountain per-say but Take It Easy is full of great song selection. Great song selection and classic arrangements really make this album addicting for me.  There seems to be a cultish following with the Walkers and Scott as well.  If you know their music either collectively or Scott's solo material then you share my cultish obsession with the band, and or legend.

Take It Easy is an album that for me get's the cult music thing going.  It's an album that not only 60's music aficionado's love but die hard Scott Walker fans love.  If you ask anyone who loves the decade of the 60's will mention Scott Walker or The Walker Brothers.  I rarely hear his music on the radio that specializes in playing music from a decade.  This includes satellite radio stations.  I don't hear it much, but when I do it's with a great smile.  I love this music so much and he and the band turned so many heads.  If you can find it there is a documentary on Scott and The Walker Brothers called 30th Century Man.  At some point I will do a focus on Scott's music because it's so good not to pass up.


I really wish I could tell you more about Take It Easy because it's an album that defines the future of The Walker Brothers and Scott.  As The Walker Brothers dissolved the career was just the beginning for Scott.  This is still a rare album to find, but well worth the effort to find.  I have both the album and a later CD re-issue that included some extra tracks that make it more Scott then The Walker Brothers album.  If you want to hear perfect crafted pop songs with great vocal arrangements then this is the album for you. If you want to hear the young Scott Walker this is the starting point.  It's all great music no matter how you look at it.

Comments

Popular Posts