Marvin Gaye's Writers Block Album


In the year of my birthday (1973) Marvin Gaye put out one of the best albums of his career.  I loved this album from the first moment that I put it on the turntable.  I found a vinyl copy a bit worn, but playable and ready for my ears.  I heard the title track Let's Get It On on the radio many times and was transfixed by his sultry and sexy groove that he made into music.  I liked his music when I heard other songs by Marvin Gaye, but this music was a step forward into some mature subject matter.  Marvin always made great music, but this was something else.

I really did not hear much Motown in my house, but my dad was a fan. He told me about the 45's of Marvin that he owned.  He only had two, "I Heard It Through The Grape Vine" and "Let's Get It On."   Two different points of Marvin's life.  Each song had it's own Marvin swag.  I loved them both and wanted to hear more.  Marvin's music was extremely inspirational and was always excited to listen to.  I liked hear that each line in his lyrics had more and more to say.



It took me a while to find the right album.  I first picked up a best of Motown Records compilation.  That had a few of Marvin's tunes.  Then I picked up an album of classic 60's tunes and that too had a few more of his tunes.  Then by accident I went to work at the library one day and someone dropped off a four disc set of his music that they borrowed.  By this time I had a small greatest hits package, but this was the diamond in the rough.  It had everything, plus a wonderful book.  I borrowed it and brought it home.  Everything on this box set was new to me, but I loved everything about it.  It made me look for more and more of his albums.

It did not take long to find his music.  In 1999, 2000 2001 there was a re-issue campaign to make these albums with extra tracks and a second disc of awesome bonus material.  This is not like twenty minutes of music.  Each deluxe edition had a ton of music.  When Let's Get It On came out the extra disc of some of the sessions.  These sessions really show the progress that Gaye made.  After all, he had on what I was reading he had a bit of writers block.  It does not feel like he had any, he really had some great ideas.  There was so many pressures of him and Motown.  He got a new contract, he moved from Detroit to LA and so many other varying factors.  All this made it hard on him.  


I've been really tryin', baby
Tryin' to hold back this feeling for so long
And if you feel like I feel, baby
Then, c'mon, oh, c'mon
Let's get it on
Ah, baby, let's get it on
Let's love, baby
Let's get it on, sugar
Let's get it on
We're all sensitive people
With so much to give
Understand me, sugar
Since we've got to be here
Let's live
I love you
There's nothing wrong with me
Loving you, baby no no
And giving yourself to me can never be wrong
If the love is true, oh baby
Ooh don't you know how sweet and wonderful life can be ooh
I'm asking you baby to get it on with me ooh ooh
I ain't gonna worry
I ain't gonna push, won't push you baby
So c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, baby
Stop beatin' 'round the bush, hey
Let's get it on
Let's get it on
You know what I'm talkin'

When I heard all about this in reading the liner notes I was shocked.  I really did not think any of this would hinder his performance or musical leanings.  After hearing this I gave the album another listen.  I loved it more.  His struggles made an album that we all love.  I only had one regret.  I wish the album was longer.  31 minutes is too short.  I understand most albums of that time where not much more then 40 minutes, but I believe once Marvin Gaye got going the flood gates of creativity would have open.

I been trying to figure what to talk about with any Motown album.  Each artist from Marvin Gaye to Stevie Wonder to Smokey Robinson is so close to perfect.  I believe there is no dud in the Motown catalog.  If you look at Let's Get It On it became his best album of his career and was one of the top albums of 1973.  If you have heard it, give it another spin.  I have and as I heard it the first time, it is a marvel.  Still a classic and an album that will get you right there.  Time to go give it another spin.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts