Derek and His Dominos and Their Love Songs


When I saw Eric Clapton for the first time he played a song at the show I heard many times.  At first I thought it was a cover because when the radio announcer played it he named the band Derek and the Dominos not Eric Clapton.  I was a little confused.  I should have known better that he was in the band.  But when I heard "Layla" it was like a religious experience like no other.  The soaring guitar solo and the long instrumental passage to conclude the song was amazing.  The live version blew whatever I had thought about Clapton.  Even though I had the Crossroads Box, this was something I had to witness.

I had bought the Layla 20th Anniversary Box a year after I got Journeyman.  I wanted to go backwards in Eric's great career not forward at this time.  I bought a few 2CD sets of The Yardbirds and had all the Cream albums.  I had got a copy of Blind Faith from my co-worker and I was well on my way to add to my Clapton collection tenfold.  Then everything stopped.  When I got the Layla Box Set I realized they only made one studio album and one live album and that is it.  I was a little upset.  I wanted to hear more and maybe more studio stuff.  This album was so amazing that there had to be some great leftovers.


I was also excited because Duane Allman was on the album.  I heard that he was the second guitar player and thought that his playing will tear the roof off this album and I was right.  It was unreal what he could do.  After repeated listens I really liked this more and more.  I felt the energy over almost seventy-seven minutes worth of music.  I always wonder if they could have repeated this again if they did a followup to this.

When thinking about writing about this album I had another time machine moment.  I would stop at the Fillmore in October of 1970 and see this done live.  I have a friend who actually saw them perform.  He told me that it was one of his favorite concerts he ever went to.  He was telling me how the whole band was tight and Eric was in such great form.  He also told me that this is the direction that Eric was going with this.  It was a great mix of blues, roots and a potpourri of everything.


Each member of Eric's band at that time was very talented.  Having Duane was just the little extra to throw them over the top. The other day after digging out a new mix I found on the internet cranked the volume and let it fly.  This Mickboy mix is just as great as my SACD version I own.  It's sound is bright and makes you feel like the fly on the wall.  I can only imagine what this sounded like done live at the Fillmore.  I have that two CD set and that is more then likely the tip of the iceberg of what they did night after night in performance.

So, if your looking at something Eric Clapton related you don't need to look any further.  Derek and the Dominos Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs.  I know and will admit I kinda glanced over it when I bought the box.  I listened, but did not give it a good proper listen.  I really can hear the ideas formuate and boil over from his first album he put out in August of 1970.  The Derek album is a must own.  It maybe "Classic Rock" but it is so much more then that.  Have a listen and crank it up because it is better to be played loud.  Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts