Greatest Hits, Best of's, and Anthologies Part Three: The Oddness of Lee Hazlewood


If I could show you what was behind the orange title card of this front cover of Lee Hazlewood collection you would understand the quirkiness of what Lee Hazlewood is all about.  To me and countless others he is an odd fellow with music that is even odder.  Not odd like barely listenable, but music odd, schmaltzy, corny and downright head scratching.  His influence on music is incredible and even the great Phil Spector looked up to him.  As AllMusic put he has a desert Vegas cowboy feel to him.  The music is spooky, and full of corny strings section and hushed percussion.  His song not on this collection called "Some Velvet Morning" with Nancy Sinatra catapulted him into cult status. It's music like this that you would hear on a jukebox in a small town bar in Montana, Texas and Arizona.

After hearing some of his music on the radio and at the local record store I knew I had to get more of this guy.  I did not know where to start.  I went on eBay and got the classic album Nancy and Lee and started my journey.  When I played the album at home my dad thought I was losing my mind.  He  thought the album was some kind of comedy album.  "No one really makes music like this, do they,?" he said.  When I showed him the cover he laughed at Lee's mustache.  "hey ho!! now that is a caterpillar mustache."  This music is so weird he later told me. He even told me this like music grandparents should listen to. I guess that was a complement.


This music was foreign to me, but I thought it was funny and corny and just plain bad.  It was bad in a good way.  It sucked you in with it's bad lyrics and 1960's musical sound that really was dated. His words may have been bad, but musicians praise his songwriting.  Lee did everything on his own terms.  He did not budge on changing his style or his way of seeing things. "Lee sounds resigned, lightly disgusted, heartbroken, and deathbed wise as he sings his way through these songs, none of which ever hit anywhere near an AM radio station." (AMG)  He sounds like that for sure, but to me his that is his signature persona.  The more I listened to his music I fell under his spell.  It's weird to describe.

One day at the local record store the friend at the counter was playing The LHI Years: Singles, Nudes & Backsides (1968-1971).  We had a great laugh at the expense of Lee Hazlewood, but it made me get this CD.  An innocent bystander laughed along with us, and he too bought it.  I came back the next day and told him how interesting this album was.  At the time of the release his music was not readily available.  This served as a bridge to his old music that was circulating around used $1.00 bins and new listers such as myself.  Songs like "No Train to Stockholm" and "If It's Monday Morning" are just brilliant. He is honest, sad and always wondering if tomorrow will turn out better.


When you listen to this Lee Hazlewood collection you will be amazed by the lush arrangements these songs have.  Each song is better then the last and the guess appearance by none other then Ann Margret on three tracks are like a breath of fresh air.  Songs like "Califia (Stone Rider)" featuring Suzi Hokom and "Sleep In The Grass" with Ann Margret get a few repeated listens.  Songs like "Chico" has a campy western feel, but you have to listen to it more then once.  It's so great when Ann Margret comes in and sings.  They sing it with seriousness and conviction. The song "No Train To Stockholm" has a sad opus, but it is still my favorite song on the album. Even the lyrics are corny but you cannot help laugh and enjoy.  I mean a section from a song called Won't You Tell Your Dreams:

I took the dog out for a walk 
I gave the laundry man a beer 
I washed the dishes in the sink 
And took your picture off the mirro
r
 

That little passage really needs no explanation does it? It's just weird lyrics after weird lyrics.  From 1968-1971 Lee Hazlewood and his productions were interesting and full of Soft Rock beauty, but when Lee made music it funny and unique.  He did what wanted to do and gave everyone else in the music world the middle finger. He had a following and his wry and introspection that made me and so many others fans of his music. His LHI Records are worth seeking out, and now fetch a pretty penny on line and at record conventions.  The Box Set is I own called There's A Dream I've Been Saving 1966-1971 that is a great about his music and productions.

The LHI Years: Singles, Nudes & Backsides (1968-1971) is not a greatest hits, but a great representation of a unique artist with a mission to make great music, put all the ladies he worked with into star status including Nancy Sinatra and Ann Margret and make odd, dark music that will get better with each listen.  I love it, and after you listen to it you will like it too.  You will shake your head and wonder what I or Lee was thinking, but I bet you thank me later when one of these songs is stuck in your head.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts