Singles #3

Okay folks it's been over a year and we have not done the odd singles collection in a while.  I was going to do some from the 80's and 90's but I know those are easy to understand and or you still have the cassette maxi-single in your collection (you remember those) that takes up a whole rung on your cassette storage unit.  At one point those were replaced by CD-Maxi's.  In the 1970's and late 60's these had interesting B-sides and oddities.

In one case today the song was cut in half to make the single and the B-side was off the album.  In two cases one of the songs was not even on the album.  Just like our first two singles post these are not number one hits.  The closest was "Nights in White Satin" which peaked at #2 but it was popular on the singles chart in 1972 and not when it first came out in 1967.  In 1967 it reached chart #103.  In one other case the B-side was really the single which was originally eighteen minutes long gets trimmed to a three and half minute joke. It's like missing the "classic" drum solo in "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." The real joke is the A-side that kinda makes you laugh at the title and it's playfulness.  Like other Singles posts there are a few songs that were unreleased until later in their career or the great example is the B-side to the Jethro Tull song was recorded differently and issued and also Classic Rock radio played the B-side more then the single.  Without further adieu I give you the first one.


I love YES, but when they put out singles in the 1970's I think the record company sabotage them too many times.  Their songs were not four minute songs by any means, but to cut a song in half to issue it as a single.  It makes little to no sense why people at Atlantic records did this. On it's own "I've Seen All Good People (A. Your Move B. All Good People)" is a great song, but breaking the music in two separate pieces makes little to no sense.  Worse is both songs are edited and really don't make any sense if they were edited.  Oh well, YES is a great band and the next year was their breakout year and then had a bit more control on what they did.


I love Deep Purple, and I once again added another single to the Single's post because they were an amazing band and the record company choice of singles from them was kinda odd. There are a few different B-sides for "Black Night" single and both B-sides never got any airplay here much unless you bought the album In Rock then you got two songs that were two good songs from that album.  The drumming boy Ian Paice and organ playing Jon Lord on one of the two B-sides "Living Wreck" is pretty awesome. The second B-side "Speed King" was for American audiences to hear, but the band at the time were not very fond of it.  Now the band include it often in their set lists. But the single never was on an album, but played often in live performances.  Great stuff from a great band.


Next up is a band who had a entered this song twice in the charts.  "Nights In White Satin" was more popular the second time around then the first.  I think the second popularity was because in 1972 the band was more successful and popular.  The odd thing is that "Nights In White Satin" is about a minute and twenty seconds longer when it was the successful single in 1972 then it's first run in the charts.  I'm not sure why the song was edited differently, but I can guess the popularity of the band had something to do with it.  The first go around it reached 103 in America and nineteen in England.  When released in 1972 it reached number two here and number nine in England.  Somehow it was released again in 1979 and 2010.  The non edited version is much better then exciting then the single edit.  By the way the B-side was a non album track and first appeared on the box set called Time Traveller in 1994.


Well everyone should know this one.  It's the song that we identify Black Sabbath with. "Paranoid" is stamped in our brains forever.  It is a great song, but once again Classic Rock radio seems to play it over and over again. I just wish that these stations would dig deep in the Sabbath catalog and play some real gems.  Case in point is the B-Side. "The Wizard" is a great Bluesy type tune and Ozzy's harmonica playing is better then some. The band choice of B-sides really shine here and I like that about Black Sabbath.  Good songs and not throwaways like some bands.


Speaking of great bands, Roxy Music in the early years are some of my favorite years in the band.  Glam, Rock, awesome vocals by Bryan Ferry and moments of rocking out, and Brian Eno still in the band.  It's perfect in every way.  The single "Do The Strand" is a gem.  It's the first song that got me into Roxy Music way back in High School.  It rocks out more then a lot of songs of the time.  The B-side is a true Rocker and also the Brian Eno keyboard work with Phil Manzanera guitar parts in the middle of the song are priceless.  Kicks ass in every way and my favorite of the singles I posted here.


Jethro Tull is a great band, and their first three albums show more then later albums.  It was Stand Up and Benefit that piqued my curiosity as a young teenager.  I remember going with my parents on a trip to a museum and there was also other shops in the era and I gravitated to the record store like I always used to do.  It was there I picked up Stand Up and brought it home  and loved the pop up gatefold.  Then one day mom to the local department store where I got Benefit.  It was Classic Rock radio that was playing a song from that era of the album's release.  Sure enough the cassette I had the same song. It was only the American release had the song "Teacher"and it was a song that I rewound the tape often to listen to it again and again.  The Single was not issued on any studio album and remained unreleased till Living In the Past a Jethro Tull early years compilation came out.  It's not as good as "Teacher" but still a above average song.

There are many others I will get to in a future singles post. I have to get my audio recall memory working again and I promise we shall see another one in the near future.  These songs all are etched in my memory and again that our cool band we love and grew up with made some better then average songs.  These songs I think were even better of some of the top songs of the time. Time to feel nostalgic and check these out.  Let me know what YOU think.  Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts