Bungle Mr. VoLaNtE



"You know that this album is the Sgt. Pepper of the 90's."  "This is the album that beats them all at the game of greater musicianship, powerful vocals and most of all awesome playing and beautiful crafted songs."  As my friend handed me one of the promotional copies he got at the book and record store he worked at.  He had ordered a dozen and each were going to go co-workers and or friends.  I was lucky to get it two weeks before the album release in 1995.  "Is it as good as the first?" I asked.  I think that was a stupid question, but I asked it anyway.  "Much better then the first," he said to me.  I'm not sure if I should believe my friend or have a listen for myself.  It was when I brought it home that I realized that my friend was just super excited that there was a new Mr. Bungle coming out and this was going to be his creed to tell people to buy it.  Not sure what demographic he was aiming at, but he made his point with me and so many other Mr. Bungle fans.

When I first put it on the CD player I was a little worried that this music would melt what was left of my brain.  It did that and more.  Mike Patton chose to do music that was so different that it defied any category or genre.  I liked him for his daring and almost reckless changes in styles or genres in music on the first Mr. Bungle.  These musicians that helped create a Mike Patton masterpiece had now created a second one with more powerful and excitement.  It was four years since the last and not only did Mike Patton grow as a singer, but the band expanded its palate in the music that was influence them at the time.  It could only get better with age and more and more wide opening acceptance.  I loved what I heard, but people in my household thought otherwise.


When I first put it the music of Disco Volante in my CD player a rush of musical influences came across right away.  Mike Patton is famous for soaking up music like a sponge and his other project Faith No More had proven that with the albums they put out.  Angel Dust was Heavy Metal with a dash of curiosity and a dash of Avant-garde. On Angel Dust he mixed Metal along with Hip-Hop, Classical music by way of having The Kronos Quartet on the album and a bit of Techno.  Don't forget he added an interpretation of movie soundtrack music with a band version of John Barry's "Midnight Cowboy." This was thrown in to make the Metal heads do a head turn.  I will admit that it did to me.  It made me explore other music.  Mike achieved his goal.

After one listen of Disco Volante I knew I was in for a wild ride.  I accepted Patton's challenge and took it head on.  "Desert Search For Techno Allah" adds he spice for Middle-Eastern music and some techno music thrown in for some shake up.  Not only do the bands move by crossing genres but Mike Patton's voice is something to be hold.  One minute he is on some Opera singing mountain and the next he is screaming like the best 1980's Heavy Metal bands lead singers. He wowed me more then once after each listen.  Even the song we all practiced on the piano as a kid "Chopsticks"make's an appearance.  If any album deserves a repeated listen then this album does it every time.  It also sounds very fresh after a hiatus from it.


Mr. Bungle breaks all the rules of normal music and I love that about them.  They do it so well in the studio and live.  I had a chance to see this tour live and they will do it right in front of you.  They shock and awe you like no other band can do.  Another great example is "Violenza Domestica" sounds like it belongs on a Italian film soundtrack with Fellini directing.  It does that for most of the song and once again it crosses odd boundaries.  Each song can sound normal but Mike Patton adds a twist to every piece of music.  There is not a "hit" song on the album because if it was played on the radio, listeners would think they are getting another radio station from a far away place.  The music keeps you guessing and Patton's voice my sound calm and serene one moment and then the next loud and defining.

Would I call Disco Volante the Sgt. Pepper of the 90's?  No, I would not, but I would call it a hugely influential album of the 90's for sure.  It makes more twists and turns musically and vocally then any album from that era.  There is so much to listen to when you listen to this album you can hear what Mike Patton is thinking all the time.  Just when you get comfortable it all changes quickly.  Is this how all music should be? Maybe not, but it gives a good idea what Mike Patton and band really are thinking.  They say great minds think alike and for this album the whole band thinks like one big great mind.  I love them after each listen. as of 2020 they toured again and I saw them and it was great and also working on doing a renewed version of their demo album called The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny (which was the tour) and this time adding Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Scott Ian from Anthrax this will be one heavy album.  Enjoy this 90's odd classic and maybe you can understand that musical influences are important to any musician and for Mike Patton he wants to make sure you hear them all.  Enjoy!!


Comments

Popular Posts