Deep Purple Mark II: Machine Head


Okay I know what your thinking, why would I do Deep Purple's most popular and well known album? Why? Well I have to faithfully admit that this album changed the way I listened to music. Sure "Smoke On The Water" was played a gazillion times on the radio but once in a while I would hear "Highway Star" or "Space Truckin" and wonder what this band would have been like on tour.  We got a sneak peak with a live BBC performance from about a month before the album came out.  I will do that post soon too.  It's just jaw dropping and with a far less crowd then Made In Japan that really brings out the greatness of this lineup.

Machine Head is an album that made Deep Purple, Deep Purple and how they became a heavyweight in the music world and to me with that Jon Lord organ they could do no wrong.  I was always fascinated by organ in a band since I was a child.  Strawberry Alarm Clock, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and countless others.  I don't know what made the organ so appealing, but when I heard anyone with a great organ sound I turned up the music.  Deep Purple made me turn it up even louder.  I liked the band's brash sound and Ian Gillian's powerful vocals.


It was the music of Machine Head that got the ball rolling to find an album I should listen to.  It was the song "Hush" and "Highway Star" that made me want to listen to them more and more.  It was music that was addicting.  The words were simple, but memorable and the groove between all the members of the band were like super glue.  I remembering borrowing my neighbors vinyl all the time so I can listen to it.  I cranked up the volume, plugged in my headphones and sent myself to another time and place.  It was like no other musical experience that I ever had.  Sure music made travel to another place and time, Deep Purple made me travel at warp speed.  "Highway Star." like it's lyrics made feel like I was in some spaceship going nowhere fast.

As I continued listening to album I was fascinated by the heavy drums and Jon Lord's signature organ riffs.  These were stronger then hearing "Hush" or anything before Machine Head. Sure, Fireball moved me, but I think that was the beginning of what made Deep Purple great.  Not only these songs did it with it's awesome groove it was that Deep Purple made songs that were longer then the average song on an album.  Some albums of the time you would get three minutes of joy, but Purple made them six, and seven minute masterpieces.  When they toured these lengths doubled and it worked it.  It made these songs sound so priceless that you know these songs would be remembered for a long, long time.  In December of 1972 Made In Japan made these songs instant classics.  Nine months to make these songs perfect.  It was not too hard, they could do it.  When I heard "Smoke On The Water" they already built up that fine reputation that we know now.  The lyrics tell the story and I don't need to tell you.  If you don't know it, Wiki it; the story is an odd and amazing one.


It was "Space Truckin'" that set the band up for immortality. On Machine Head it was a lengthy seven and half minutes.  Live the song shined at twenty minutes or longer.  On In Concert it sends the band and everyone at the BBC live studio into the stratosphere.  It kind of reminds me of if Deep Purple was like Hawkwind.  Might be a far stretch but Hawkwind made you feel you were in outer space or on a drug that would lead you there.  Deep Purple put you there on it's music alone.  I think that would have been a fun tour if it ever happen.  Deep Purple and Hawkwind,  I would have gone to that show.  "Space Truckin'" had awesome solos by Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore that kept the of any listener and for myself it was just enough to make me like them more and more.


When I finally got my copy of Machine Head it was the copy of my neighbors.  He finally gave in and told me to keep it.  He told me a greatest hits of Deep Purple is all he needed.  It sounds crazy, but I really don't think a simple retrospective does the Deep Purple trick.  Anyway, I was overjoyed to own it.  A few years later those pesky record clubs gave me a deal I could not refuse.  I picked up CD copy so I did not have to wear out (I already did) the record copy.  Over time I would study this album to death and pick up more then one copy.  I had the 25th Anniversary edition.  This edition had  a new mix by Roger Glover and sounds bright and has new life.  At a local flea market a guy was selling the original version on Purple records from England.  I bought that too. Then another anniversary box came out and I bought that too. For their most popular album this sure grabbed my attention.  It still does in many ways.  The history and lore this album makes me more and more attracted to it. In 2012 I bought the 40th Anniversary edition.  Not only a new fresher sound but a new mix of that live In Concert program (March 9th 1972) I told you about.  Well worth the money.  It includes a Quad mix, a new a better master and a glorious 5.1 mix that makes your speakers melt.

If this does not convince you that my Deep Purple obsession is pretty bad, then I'm not sure what will.  After this album it sadly fell apart for Deep Purple.  Their followup Who Do We Think We Are was not the made it bigger and better but that spark ignited a fuse and it blew the band up.  In 1984 and again 1992 they tried to regain magic, but to no use.  It was 1996 where I payed close attention once again and this time it has lasted to this day.  They added a guitar God named Steve Morse and now they are better then they ever where.  Seven studio albums in, they are amazing and live they will beg you after your two plus hour show for more.  After hearing Machine Head you too will be playing it and begging for more. It is a classic and yes a popular classic.  I'm not ashamed to say this is the one that made me love one of the coolest bands of the 70's and beyond.  Enjoy!!!


Comments

Popular Posts