The Unconditional Love Of My Bloody Valentine

I will faithfully admit I started digging My Bloody Valentine after they put out there Loveless album out.  It was about 1992 is when I started liking the band.  I was at a used CD store and for a cheap $4.99 I picked up Isn't Everything and Loveless.  I was laughed at by the record store clerk for not having these sooner.  I guess I had other music on my mind and MBV was not it.  I took them home and was really excited to hear the new music that I picked up.  At the time I was listening to a lot of Alternative Rock either on the radio or through music videos on MTV.  Somehow this music escaped me.  I was digging bands like Lush, Jesus and Mary Chain and was just getting into Spiritualized.  Before I played Loveless I was told by the record store dude that I would really love this band.  It's a natural fit and this band wrote a new map for the bands I liked to follow.  

When I put on Loveless I was ready for this and that musical reference helped my mind open and I was truly in awe.  Hearing Lush, and Jesus and Mary Chain I got what they were doing.  In some way they were paying homage to the band that helped them pave the way for this kind of Alternative Rock.  They gave it a name called Shoegaze.  At one listen I was totally impressed with the distorted guitars and dream like vocals.  I liked that they were not like any other band.  They did not do the a typical verse chorus verse thing.  Another thing I liked about the music was the female vocals either lead or backing.  It gave the music a unique twist.  


MBV knew what they were doing and this music made quick fans of anyone who listened to them.  That first listen of Loveless changed me for life.  It was not only the music it was everything about the band.  They were not typical as I said previously.  They did not show off and give that look like that we are way cooler then anybody else.  They made their presence by the untuned guitars and harmonics. The drums were buried in the mix so well that they seemed to keep up with the guitar sounds and and the bass too was pulsing along with everything else.  I liked and wanted to hear more.  I was late for the 1992 tour and hoped they would tour again.  I had a long wait.  A real long wait.

In 2008 a music festival came close to my part of the world.  I have been following this festival for quite some time.  I read about it in the magazines and saw a brief mention on TV.  This festival was called the ATP (All Tomorrow's Parties) Festival.  The idea of the festival was the brainchild of Belle and Sebastian.  What they did was curate a show with their favorite bands and their favorite people.  Some of these bands were obscure in some circles, but in some it was what made unique music so great.  Bands that you would never think to play live let along reunite for a one time performance did.  The buzz started with a band called Slint who I talked about last August on this blog.  They played for the first time in so many years.  This renew interest got them to reform and tour.  MBV was on that wish list.


Later in 2008 I got a phone call from a friend.  He asked if I want to go to a ATP festival with MBV as the host, curator and headliner.  This happen to be around my birthday.  My friend knew this and took care of my expenses.  This not only had MBV play, but there was Yo La Tengo, Mercury Rev, Built To Spill, Tortoise, and countless other bands we all loved and admired play at the festival as well.  This was a dream to come true.  As I got ready to go to this festival I thought how many people like myself have never seen them and were just as curious as I was.  The excitement was building and building.  I wondered if they were going to play anything new. Are they going to play the odd b-sides and maybe a cover or two??  

We got there and the buzz was like I have never witnessed.  At one moment my friend nudged me and pointed out that Mr. MBV Kevin Shields was over talking to one of our other friends.  It was an amazing moment to see all this going on.  I was in heaven.  This was just as great as my Progressive Rock Festival (NEARFest) that I went to.  It was hard to figure out what we all were going to see and hear.  One of my friends pointed to the program and mentioned that Steve Albini was doing a poker game set up.  It was so much at one time that I felt like my brain was going to explode.   

MBV at ATP 2009

When MBV was ready to perform I was nervous.  I was ready to see them on stage.  After the first note I knew that I wanted to be here.  I knew I wanted to see them live.  I also knew this band was truly amazing.  After the show I looked at my friend and shook my head in awe.  Why did they stay away so long?  Why is this band the best at what they do and complete drop off the planet?  I don't think we will know those answers but one answer was that this seemed to be their comeback.  It was not my last ATP festival.  I went to two more at the same place and then they held one in NYC.  I'm still kicking myself for the one held in New Jersey to see Jeff Magnum and Portishead.  

In 2013 they did make a comeback.  They decided to put out an album on their own terms.  The album was simply titled M B V at first listen it was wonderful, refreshing and a joy to hear a band such as them get back together.  This was something I hoped for.  I finally got to see them again and this time with fresh music for my ears.  Loveless is still a classic and hearing the old and new music live and hearing the album all over again.  If you want to hear a classic 90's album Loveless is the one.  Check out all their music, but this album is the one that started many heads spinning.  Take a listen to Loveless and you will Love it.  Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts