Doors: Mr.Mojo Risin


 When I was in High School I hung out with a few friend who all they listened to was Classic Rock.  It was like they ate, sleep and breathed anything Classic Rock.  If it was in front of them they would take it.  I was not new to the Classic Rock game, but I was still trying to listen to more and more.  The music I heard as an early teenager were the same old songs.  I loved them as much as my friends.  The only thing was I only knew the music they did.  If there was any new Classic Rock I did not hear it was not by them, but the radio.  The curiosity was done by trial and error.  

What I did have at my advantage was an older neighbor who knew all the songs and all the albums.  I would go with him to the local record store once a week and buy a cassette that I have not heard or needed more of.  One such cassette was The Best of The Doors.  It was close to ninety minutes of music and had a ton of music that I had not heard.  I'm not sure if I missed it on the radio or just was not on the rotation but some songs were quite brand new to me.  I was very happy to hear these for my very own.  The one that stood out the most was "Riders On The Storm" and I loved it. 


It was a very mellow song compared to some of the Classic Rock tunes that I listened to.  It was also very different then their hit "Light My Fire." I loved Ray Manzarek keyboard playing.  I also loved the rain sounds on it as well.  I needed to hear more of this album and thankfully there were two other tracks.  The title track and "Love Her Madly." Both songs were some of my new favorites of The Doors.  After hearing "Riders On The Storm" for the third or fourth time now I wanted to be Ray Manzarek. I loved his keyboard playing.  I begged my parents for an electric piano.  

After many more listens I told my Classic Rock friends that I think I found my Doors album.  It was Jim Morrison's last before his untimely death.  The Classic Rock radio station I listened to I would hear the three songs a bit more now and I thought I had a really cool album.  The song "L.A. Women" was on a rotation at the local radio station and every time I heard it I wanted to hear it again.  "L.A. Women" had that swagger and more dirty feel then their early works.   It had a nice feel to it.  It was a Rocker without being forced down our throat like "Light My Fire" was.  "Light My Fire" was played by everyone and their mother.  I heard one day a version that would have Jim Morrison roll over in his grave.  


It was even the non radio tracks that attracted my attention.  It was "L'America" and "The Changeling" that got my interest.  These tunes were unique and very Doors.  Even "The Wasp (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)" were songs that no one else would even think about doing.  The poetry of Jim Morrison was stronger then ever.  The Doors felt like a true group after making this and who knows what would have happened after this if Jim Morrison was still alive.  

I know you guys have a greatest hits of The Doors but if you need to seek out an album to get then you need to bookend their first and L.A. Women.  I played it the other day and realized how much greatness has come out of this.  Everyone in the band now perfectly augment Jim Morrison and they keep him centered and make sure he does not go off the deep end.  This album is true Classic Rock with a touch of the city of LA as an awesome backdrop.  Check it out or give it a listen either way it's a perfect swan song to a great leader and to a pretty damn' good band.  Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts