Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blues

While in college I was a radio DJ. I have mentioned this numerous of times because if it was not for being part of this social circle I would be stuck in a musical rut and more then likely listen to the same music over and over again.  One day a fellow DJ made me a mix CD of music that was a bit of old and a bit of new.  Before he gave this to me he checked out what I had in my collection, what I was playing on the air and what I liked.  It was mostly curiosity questions, but it helped shape the disc.  

When I looked at the track listing I saw a few interesting ones and some I had some clue, but wanted to know more about it.  People like The Stylistics, David Ackles, Van Dyke Parks and lastly Dennis Wilson.  As I asked him if it was the one and only.  The man who was a founder of The Beach Boys, the one Jim O'Rourke loved and talked about in a lengthy interview.  He nodded his head.  Not only did this mix shape my radio shows it got me thinking more and more about music from the past that I liked and either skimmed or payed no attention to.  This was going to be a fun lesson or even a fun education. 


In a small way I needed to go find a different path of music.  The past can reflect the future.  The future can reflect the past and in music that always holds true.  Some of the music that I heard was odd, but it was very interesting.  The David Ackles, Dennis Wilson and Van Dyke Parks should have been certainly more noticed but it was my curiosity that got the music wheels turning in my head to seek these out and here more.   

If Jim O'Rourke spoke highly of Dennis Wilson then It was worth more of an investigation.  When I heard these three I was more on a mission to find music that was important but in a way passed up.  Every era of music has it.  I'm sure you hear in interviews that a certain musician heard an artist from the past and went "WOW." It could be someone we all know, but the song we have very little information on.  It could be someone we know very little but we know the song very well and did not put the two and two together.  It was the Dennis Wilson song that had me confused and wanting to hear more.  


After hearing the one song on the mix CD I wanted to hear more.  This was nothing like a Beach Boys album with the lush vocal harmony.  This was a song of a man who had some kinda of pain. Internal pain that he could not get rid of.  It was beautiful but there was something there that was making him upset or sad.  It was great.  The song "Thoughts of You" with it's many layers of vocals was an interesting song.  Now after hearing this I wanted to hear the rest of the album.  It took a while to find it it.  What I did not know that in 1991 It was quickly issued and then went into obscurity.  It was sold for $200 at one point and did not show back up in stores till 2008.  I was happy that I could finally here this Beach Boys solo classic.  

After one listen I knew it was the diamond in the rough.  It was music that seemed fresh as it did when it came out in 1977.  As I picked up the re-released version now as two CD's I called my friend and gave him praise for turning me on to this classic.  The music was wonderful and beautiful.  Still my go to song in "River Song" every time I play it the song gives me goosebumps.  It is truly something else.  From it's vocal harmony and it's orchestrations its a must have.  Take a listen for yourself and truly enjoy this lost gem.  

Comments

Popular Posts