The Wild Innocence of Bruce Springsteen

It was summer of 1985 and Bruce Springsteen's summer tour to support Born In The U.S.A. album.  If my close friend was not blasting that album twenty-four, seven then his mom was all the time. It was also the first summer after graduating High School for my close friend so the wide eye of his life after High School was just beginning.  My friend was eighteen and I was in seventh grade still trying to figure it all out and believe me it was tough.  I was getting picked on an teased all the time.  The kids who teased didn't know either about themselves or the other classmates around them  I was just happy to be moving on to the eighth grade and maybe find new people to hang around with.  Thankfully my close friend was there for feedback and to help.  When he graduated high school he was on his way to the local community college.  I'm glad he stuck around because he might have saved my life. 

Another thing that saved my life was music.  My close friend was showing me all kinds of cool music from his small, but pretty cool collection on tape and record.  I borrowed a lot of that music and really liked most of it.  It was typical suburban music from a small town.  There was Kiss, Eric Clapton, Van Halen, The Doors and all kinds of 80's music that we all grew up on.  But one of his collection of albums stood out more then the rest.  It was his collection of Bruce Springsteen.  He had all the albums and a few tapes of shows or concerts of him in such places as New York City.  Some of these shows were taped off the radio and he kept because there was really no live album of Bruce's music till the following year.  That is when he put out Live 1975-85.  An album set mind you that my close friend picked up as soon as it came out.  That was three cassettes and five records and a lot of music for anyone to digest.  

In the fall of 1984 is when I was asked to see Bruce Springsteen for the first and not the last time.  He had the place rocking and rolling for his two plus hour show and then some.  It was the songs off his second album, The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle that resonated with me. He made these songs explode with energy.  I remember hearing them on the cassette, but now hearing them live I really wanted to crank that cassette as loud as my stereo could go.  These songs were not like anything the musicians of that time were playing.  In 1973 songs were about sex, drugs and Rock and Roll.  Songs that Bruce wrote were about people and their lives.  These songs were a short story in a song,  When preformed live they were ten minutes songs with a wonder after what ever happen to these people he wrote about.  I would back to The Wild... and quietly sing along.  If I got way into the song I think my mom or dad would have gotten a little concerned what I was actually listening to.  

After a few listens of the album I could see these songs develop into a flower.  Bruce is an awesome songwriter and these songs sure blossom and are beautiful.  After hearing this album all the way through the other day I noticed a few things.  One thing I noticed is that he made these songs very unique maybe different then anyone at the time.  These songs made you engaged to know the world of Bruce Springsteen.  There is a lot going on in each one too.  Most songs are just cut and dry, but Bruce sets up an elaborate and sometimes complex world around each penned tune.   


Songs like 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) puts you right there with his love for Sandy.  Kitty's Back sounds like a Blues song with heavy horns.  It moves all over the place, but still keeps Bruce in his world while us the listener is hanging on for dear life.  Allmusic called his songs suites and I can really agree with that.  Seeing these songs done live, it makes us fan have every emotion and connect even more with Bruce's music.  The music here pulls no punches.  It's beautiful and poetic and the complex is music that we can all understand and follow his ride.  If you ever been to a Bruce Springsteen show just remember you are going to be on a rollercoaster for about three plus hours.  

Do I have a personal favorite of this album.  I sure do.  It's Rosalita (Come Out Tonight). It's a rocker and one of my favorite songs to hear live and if I hear it on the radio (which is pretty rare).  I crank it up and try to keep along with his story.  This might be the meeting point where Born To Run is his masterpiece, but The Wild... has the seeds that planted and the two years growth saw Born To Run come up in full blossom.  This album has it all, and it sure is fun to take a Bruce adventure for almost 47 minutes and listen to each song turn into something beautiful.  If any album deserves to be his best album this album is the one.  Born To Run might the commercial break through, but the seeds started here and this is one of the best albums in all of Rock and Roll,  

P.S.  I just wanted to let everyone know that this album and seeing him perform in concert changed my life.  It's music that will move you to tears to wonderment and enjoyment.  His shows will keep you buzzing for days.  It's a great rollercoaster to be on and a trip with Bruce is always be a memorable one. He will put you through your paces and you know you will be better off after seeing him.  Reward yourself and play this album and when your done, play the last three songs again.  You will catch on and understand this is pretty damn' close to perfection.  Enjoy!!! 


Comments

Popular Posts